Saturday 9 May 2009

Using Music on a Website and Your Taste

By Geoff White Platinum Quality Author

I have always taken the simple approach to using music on a website. That is, if there's a radio application wherein I can put music samples, I will. I don't have any real knowledge beyond that for putting music into sites. I know that for a time, while I was writing MySpace blogs regularly, music became an integral part of the writing process and most of the time one (or more) songs would end up in my blog just to set a mood for the piece of writing I showcased there.

The beauty of using music on a website is that it anchors your audience to an ambiance that you, the web master, set as tone for the surfer. The detriment? It tells these web surfers how they should feel when going into a site, which runs the risk of turning them off and reducing your web traffic.

Web traffic is, of course, the key to building a website. For some web sites music simply distracts the prospective surer from the information or products you choose to put onto the site. For others (possibly like this one,) music is the engine that drives it. When I'm writing, I like to ad music as it reflects my mood while writing it. I don't know whetyher there has been a direct corollary with the kind of music I've used with the amount of traffic I've gathered on any of my sites. If I were a statistician, I could help you: I'm not.

As to the aesthetics, I'd say your use of music on your site is ultimately up to you. There are a slew of reliable resources that give advice on the ways and amounts of music one can use on a site, along with relevant copyright laws. We suggest that you search for those uses and enjoy the music as you hear it.

For more help with using music on websitescheck out this guide to royalty free music.

No comments:

Post a Comment